Friday, May 1, 2015

Labour Day in Buenos Aires

First of all Empanadas are spelt like this and look like this 
They taste delicious and we had another one for lunch today. Yesterday I gave the recipes. 

Today we had a slow start and we left the hotel at midday and got back at 6pm. I have to say I an stuffed in a tired way rather than with food like yesterday. 

When we left there was a loud protest happening in the distance which the receptionist at the hotel told us would be the teachers as they always protest on Labour Day every year. She said they are paid very badly and that to be a teacher you would have to be heroic. I asked where the protest was and she said at the pink house of the government where all protests happen. I asked if it is a peaceful protest and she said yes but be careful as in South America you never know. I said as I am a teacher I would go down for solidarity. 

First things first Craig and I had lunch water and empanadas at an outside cafe where the police and ambulance took care of a fight.  Picture of the neighbourhood 

We then headed off to Puerto Madero and walked along the river. There were some amazing buildings 
The promenade 
UCA University of Catholics Argentinea at the start of Puerto Madero. 

Said buildings and one more 

Then we went to Central Market on the other side for espresso and a shared cake we thought chocolate but more caramel on chocolate base 
There are about 6 in that picture with caramel and cashews. Very rich luckily we shared one. Cafe was modern 
The also had ice cream like we tried last night but eating less today 
Then the protesting could be heard again and we could see the pink house so we joined the protest for solidarity 
It was colourful and loud
You can see it is in front of the pink house. 

We saw Obelisk on our way back to the hotel 
Modern buildings have dwarfed it as the taxi driver pointed out. It is piccolo now. 

Then I inadvertently took a picture of Starbucks which Craig found humourous but I liked the top of the roof. 
Now we are safely ensconced in our hotel in the lounge as there seems to be no wifi in our room. Rest and relaxation is on the agenda and maybe an empanadas for dinner?

The weather here is cool. I take my merino poncho I bought at Max with Annie last year. I packed it for the plane as they get cold. Thank God I did, it has been useful here until midday and in the evening As it gets cool.  I have been wearing shoes and socks for walking and they are more comfortable than sandals for hours of walking. Tomorrow I need to find a laundry to wash my warm clothes. My sundresses are no good yet   It rained again today. 

1 comment:

  1. WOW Jacinta, from your writing, it sounds like an amazing journey. I love being able to hear each day of what you and Craig are up to. The photos really help with the imagery.

    ReplyDelete